Try speed skating with the Toronto Speed Skating Club!
Speed skating is best enjoyed by skaters who have previously learned some of the basics of skating on hockey or figure skates. Although the club does not offer the most basic “learn to skate” programs (for those who have never skated), we do offer an Intro To Speed Skate program. Certainly, you do not need to have good technique before you come – we can help you develop that. If you are the kind of person who loves to do laps at public skate sessions at the local rink, take steps to free your inner speed skater!
Skaters who have completed an Intro to Speed Skate (ITSS) session will be invited to join the TSSC and participate in weekly practices for the remainder of the season. Skaters may only participate in a single Intro to Speed Skating session. Fees will be pro-rated according to membership start date.
All classes take place at the Ford Performance Centre (previously MasterCard Centre), 400 Kipling Ave, Etobicoke – Rink 1
Interested in registering? Have any questions?
Contact the registrar at TSSCregistrar@gmail.com if you would like to learn more about our program offering.
ITSS cost includes rental of short track speed skates and cut proof ankle guards. Additionally, the participant must bring to the rink the following properly fitting safety equipment for each practice:
- Helmet (bike or hockey)
- Gloves (ideally cut-proof, but leather or hockey gloves are fine)
- Neck guard (bib style)
- Knee pads (inline skating or volleyball)
- Shin guards (soccer style and preferably without the under-foot strap)
- This program is not a custodial setting. As such, parents are required to stay at the arena during the sessions when their child is skating, in order to provide rink-side support in case of emergency. We kindly request the help of parents to put the mats on the ice at the beginning of the sessions.
- All our practices require safety mats. Placement during the youth practices and removal from the ice at the end of the adult practices will be done during the 60min/90min allocated to each group.